Monday, February 26, 2007

Sixth Update from Paul

Hello supporters,

This latest update is being sent to you from the lakeside village of St. Arnaud, gateway to the Nelson Lakes National Park I just crossed. As you can tell from the map, I have made it pretty far up the island. In fact, from here less than a quarter of the tramp remains.

Over the last week or so I have spent most of my time on rough forest tracks. At lower elevations I wandered through grassy cattle flats (including a walk across one of the country's largest farms) and occasionally the track took me above the bush-line to reveal the vast extent of the island's ranges and some of the most beautiful lakes I have seen so far.

It finally rained yesterday for about 10 minutes, which prompts me to say something about the weather: Mother Nature has been excessively nice to me over the last few weeks. In fact, believe it or not, I had not encountered rain since leaving the Young valley, which is an incredible 700 km away from here! I have not experienced substantial rain since I was at Mavora Lakes, which I visited another 200-300 km prior to that. And the Sun was again there for me when I needed it at Waiau Pass 2 days ago. The forecast also looks great as I head into the seldom-visited Mount Richmond Forest Park.

I am unable to send pictures from my current location but some should be posted soon. I have been well looked after by the people at the Alpine Village Store here and feel ready for the next leg of the journey. Next time I write I will be entering the final stretch of this 1500 km hike.

Off to escape the sandflies...

Thanks for your interest and contributions to an important cause,

Paul

1 comment:

Dave said...

sendflies was realy terrible, i meet you in Nelson lakes, David from Czech


The Aroka Project is Sponsored and Supported by:







http://earthseasky.co.nz/










Powered By Blogger