Saturday, February 10, 2007

Third Update From Paul - 550 km done

Kia Ora from the hamlet of Makarora,

I have managed to successfully cross wonderful Mount Aspiring National Park and I have just returned to civilization after a week-long stint in the wilderness. Weather has definitely been on my side lately, apart from rain on the last day which left me waiting for several hours for water levels to go down. The almost constant presence of the Sun and dry conditions enabled smooth descents from Cascade Saddle and down the infamous Waterfall Face. Plenty of blue skies have also
meant uninterrupted views of majestic glaciers, towering peaks, turquoise rivers and green lush valleys, which made every long ascent worth it.

I am now confidently moving on to the main "road" section of the cross-island tramp. I will walk along coastal highway 6 starting early tomorrow, heading towards Haast Pass. I will eventually find myself walking on a mostly flat, narrow strip of land tucked between the ocean and the highest peaks in the country.

Thanks to all of you who have been following the journey from the beginning and welcome to those who have just discovered the website. Keep checking it as there will be frequent updates over the next weeks.

Paul
On the map in this entry, Paul's location is labelled by the black dot headed North).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.


The Aroka Project is Sponsored and Supported by:







http://earthseasky.co.nz/










Powered By Blogger