Friday, February 16, 2007

Fourth Update From Paul - 880 km done

Hello everyone,

This Aroka Project update is sent to you from Ross, one of the many small villages nestled between the glaciated peaks of the Southern Alps and the rough waters of the Tasman Sea. It is quite a feeling to be standing on the beach looking at snowcapped mountains just a few kms away. Ross marks the end of the "roadside" section of the walk: over the last week I have walked 330 km along a scenic road that took me down to the ocean, through rainforests, past Mount Cook and across vast stretches of farmland.

On a typical day, I would get up at 4 and start walking by 5, before the sandflies wake up, the Sun gets too hot and the traffic becomes heavy. I would then walk until mid-day and take an extended lunch break. At around 2, I would start moving again, usually stopping some time between 5 and 7, whenever I would reach one of the villages (it is quite hard
to find a campsite in between settlements as the forest is very dense).

I am now heading back inland for another crossing of the mountains. Therefore it is back to sleeping in remote huts and crossing alpine passes and numerous rivers. I am excited to head for the hills again after some monotonous hours spent alongside the road. In a few days, I should reach the village of Arthur's Pass, and at that point 2/3 of the walk will already be behind me. Even more encouraging is the fact that the beautiful weather doesn't seem to want to end.



Back to the tracks I go! Thank you for your interest in the cause and the project.

Paul


Photos from top to bottom:
1-Road near Fox Glacier
2-Paul at Ship Creek in front of the Tasman Sea
3-Sunrise near Lake Matheson
4-Monro Beach, Westland

No comments:


The Aroka Project is Sponsored and Supported by:







http://earthseasky.co.nz/










Powered By Blogger